Washington Home Inspection State Regulations
Washington State Department of Licensing
Phone: (360) 664-6487
Fax: (360) 586-0998
Mail with payments: PO Box 3917 Seattle, WA 98124-3917
Mail without payments: PO Box 9021 Olympia, WA 98507-9021
Quick Washington Facts
- Home inspection is regulated
- License renewal every two years on birthdate
- Distance education is not allowed
- CE distance education is allowed
- License type(s): home inspector
- Field Training and Experience
- 24 hours every two (2) years
- 120 hours needed but pre-licensing NOT required
- 120 hours of classroom instruction and a minimum 40 hours of field training supervised by Washington State licensed Home Inspector
Statute/Code: RCW 18.280.080
Rule/Regulation: 308-408A WAC
Exam: National Home Inspector Examination – section specific to WA will be included
Application and Licensing: Washington State Department of Licensing
Washington Home Inspection Training
Washington Licensure Requires the licensure of home inspectors and establishes various qualifications for licensure. Licenses will be issued beginning July 1, 2009. Beginning Septembers 1, 2009, inspectors will be required to have a license to inspect. Anyone who can prove he has worked as a home inspector for at least two years and has conducted at least 100 home inspections may apply to the board before September 1, 2009 for licensure without meeting the instruction and training requirements.
The bill creates the Home Inspector Advisory Licensing Board, consisting of seven members, six who must be active inspectors and one who must be currently teaching in a home inspector education program.
The Director of the Department of Licensing has the authority to adopt rules; administer licensing exams and adopt exams prepared by other entities and adopt standards of professional conduct, practice and ethics. The director has the authority to suspend licenses.
To obtain a license, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Proof of a minimum of 120 hours of classroom instruction approved by the board
- Proof of up to 40 hours of field training supervised by a licensed inspector
- Passage of the psychometrically valid, reliable and legally defensible written exam required by the board
The term of a home inspector’s license shall be two years. License renewal would be contingent upon the home inspector’s successful completion of at least 24 hours of continuing education every two years.
Any person licensed under this chapter who is not also licensed as a pest inspector under chapter 15.58 RCW shall only refer in his report to rot or conducive conditions for WDOs and shall refer the identification of damage by WDO to a licensed structural pest inspector.
The bill outlines unprofessional conduct and lays out the hearing and investigation process into complaints. It also prohibits home inspectors from soliciting repair work on items listed in the inspection report until after the sale of the house is final.