Louisiana – Home Inspection State Regulations
Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors
Contact: Morgan Spinosa – Chief Operating Officer
Email: [email protected]
Address: 5211 Essen Lane Suite 9
Baton Rouge LA 70809
Quick Louisiana Facts:
- Home inspection is regulated
- Annual License Renewal Cycle
- Distance education is allowed
- CE distance education is allowed
- License Type(s): Home Inspector
- Field Training and Experience
- High School Degree or equivalent
- 30 CE Hours for first year – 20 Hours every year after the first year.
- Pre-Licensing Hours: 120 hours (90 in classroom course/30 in field), 10 live inspections with a Board approved in-field trainer, attend a writing seminar and standards of practice review. 30 hours of in-field training must be with a Board approved infield trainer.
Exam: National Home Inspector Examination
Louisiana Home Inspection Training: Louisiana Licensure (Chapter 17-A of Title 37) enacted in 1999. Louisiana law creates the “Louisiana Home Inspectors Licensing Act.” It creates the Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors within the Department of Economic Development and requires the Board to establish minimum qualifications for licensing and allows the Board to charge and collect fees. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and must have successfully completed high school or its equivalent, and passed the National Home Inspector Examination. Applicants must show evidence of successful completion of at least 120 hours of instruction, at least 30 hours but no more than 40 of which must be in course work containing actual practical home inspections. Home inspectors are required to provide a written report of the home inspection, and are prohibited from, at the time of inspection and for a reasonable time thereafter, advertising or soliciting to perform repair services on the home upon which the inspection was performed. As a condition of renewal of a license, a home inspector must show evidence of completion of 20 hours of continuing education. Active licensees are required to carry errors and omission insurance, and the Board must establish a group insurance program.
Application and Licensing: Louisiana State Board of Home Inspectors