When you want to become a home inspector, taking the National Home Inspector Examination® is an important — but only one — step in the overall process. Check out the map below to see if your state is regulated, then use our checklists to help begin your career.
If you live in a regulated state
- Identify regulatory body and determine requirements for your state. Your state’s regulatory body is the best source to answer any requirement questions.
- Meet state requirements for education, training or experience.
- Study for and pass an approved exam, such as the National Home Inspector Examination®. The NHIE is used in 35 states. To find out if your state uses the exam, visit our State Regulations page.
- Submit an application and pay fees.
- Undergo background checks and moral character determinations.
- Purchase insurance.
- Get to work!
- Renew license over time.